This page has moved to a new address.

fabric organization tutorial

the lovely poppy [[the blog]]: fabric organization tutorial

Monday, October 3, 2011

fabric organization tutorial

my fabric area was starting to get a bit out of control and i couldn't spend enough time folding fabric to make my shelves look organized. i've seen some of the fancy fabric mini bolts, but with over 200 types of fabrics i couldn't justify 5.99 per bolt. below you'll see a tutorial on how to organize your fabric for less than 10 dollars.



1) you'll need some comic storage boards. i used the 7 1/2 by 10 1/2 because it worked out perfectly with my shelves. i found these at a local comic book store and they were 7.99, they are all over the internet if you don't live by a comic book store.

2) i took all of my fabric onto the floor, so that i'd have enough space. i folded the fabric twice the long way, you really can fold it whatever way you'd like, just as long as it's not wider than the comic board.

3) fold the fabric about half way over the board

4) start rolling it over, and over.. and over, and over..

5) once you get close to the end, fold over a corner

6) tuck and pin

7) your fabric should look something similar to this.

8) organize on your shelves (my favorite part) 



Labels:

15 Comments:

At October 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM , Blogger Rhissanna said...

Oooh! You do have some lovely fabrics! And this is a great idea.

 
At October 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM , Anonymous DJ Kittie said...

Awesome idea! Once I get back home, I am going to totally organize my fabrics. <3

 
At October 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM , Blogger SV said...

great idea! mine are stuffed in an IKEA shoe holder, but this looks so much more organized. Love your fabric choices :-)

 
At October 4, 2011 at 10:30 PM , Blogger michele said...

these fabrics made me smile!

found you via tipjunkie and hope you'll enter my giveaway and decide to follow:

http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-stencil-splendor-giveaway.html

michele

 
At October 5, 2011 at 11:05 AM , Blogger People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

You had me at "organization"! This is a great idea!

I'm your newest follower. :)

 
At October 6, 2011 at 3:15 PM , Blogger Craftzilla said...

I love this! I'm going to mention this post in a link post on my blog tomorrow (no pics, just link) Thanks for the great tutorial:)

 
At October 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM , Blogger mel said...

Super great idea! I'm jealous of your fabric stash! All of mine right now are rolled and in a banker's box under my bed. Not quite as inspiring, but someday I'll use this tip!
Have a great weekend!

 
At October 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM , Blogger Courtney said...

Wow! Your fabric collection is like a candy shop for fabric lovers!!!! Beautiful stuff. Totally makes me want to go shopping and add to my own collection.

 
At October 28, 2011 at 1:22 AM , Blogger Sharde said...

this is a great tutorial! i haven't even thought of doing this before, I have a rolling set of drawers that has my fabric in it, and lots lots of craft supplies lol! i'm jealous of your stash for real!

sharde @ the style projects

 
At October 28, 2011 at 1:32 AM , Blogger Franchesca said...

Oh wow, I am LOVING your blog already!!! So glad to have found you through the followers fest :)

Thanks for the tip!! I have tons of fabric that needs some serious organizing!

XO!

 
At October 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Anonymous Jessi @ this camera tells my story said...

Ooooh! This is such a good idea. Thanks so much!
Stopping by from follower fest :)

 
At October 28, 2011 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Nicole @ Sew Much Sunshine said...

Hey there! My name's Nicole too! Stopping by from the followers fest. Happy weekend!

 
At October 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great tutorial, thanks for sharing! Stopping by from followers fest, already a follower :)

 
At October 29, 2011 at 8:56 PM , Blogger Anna said...

Love your blog, too! So glad to have come across you! These photos of fabric make me want to sew like right.this.instant! :).

 
At November 8, 2011 at 9:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy do I need help organizing my fabrics! Thanks for the tip! Once I get shelves, I'm definitely trying this! Pinning it:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home