This page has moved to a new address.

my inspiration

the lovely poppy [[the blog]]: my inspiration

Thursday, July 21, 2011

my inspiration


Working with families and children with has been one of the most rewarding opportunities for me. The children constantly inspire me, even when I’m not with them. I can be sitting in the studio, sewing away and think back to a situation of a time when I taught someone something new and I’m inspired for the rest of the day.

During my junior year of college, I decided to look for a part time job. I remember seeing a posting for the line therapist position in a local newspaper and decided to apply for it.  I was interviewed, offered a position and placed on my first team; I was excited for the job yet completed unaware of the amazing career that awaited me. Leading up to my first day I was eager to start, but nervous about meeting the family for the first time.

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but after completing my training I felt more confident and excited to be on my own. It took me a few months to get comfortable with programming but with solid resources and good people supporting me I let loose.  I made a concerted effort to be as creative as I could to make a difference in the lives of the family that I was working with. Within the first few months I was able to notice changes in the child that we were working with.  We taught the child how to ride a bike, use the bathroom, and eventually hold a conversation. I would leave work at night feeling like I made a difference and woke up in the morning excited about the opportunities ahead. Words cannot describe that feeling that I would get after the parents would recognize and participate in the progress of their child.

We follow the child’s motivation and set up situations to target attainable goals and skills to enhance the lives of not just the children but their families too. Over the past five years I have seen monumental changes with the children I’ve worked with. It is a passion of mine to support families and therapists learn strategies that will help children obtain goals that no one thought possible.

I once heard the saying “find a job that you love and you’ll never work a day in your life” and being a line therapist definitely was a job that I loved and decided to make a career out of. I decided to go to graduate school for master’s degree, focusing on autism spectrum disorder, and recently was promoted to the become the autism services coordinator at a local clinic in Milwaukee.

Due to confidentially purposes, I can't post any pictures of the lovely kiddos I get to work with. So, I'm following Gussy's lead and sharing a few pictures of my favorite jewelry items.

1) my anniversary/ wedding ring

2) pearl necklace (also from my hubby)

3) floral blossom necklace from the shop

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At July 21, 2011 at 12:14 PM , Blogger SV said...

The planet is a better place because of people like you! I love your story and the jewelry. Linking up after you on gussy.

 
At July 21, 2011 at 3:10 PM , Blogger Earl-Leigh said...

What amazing work you do! Congratulations on your promotion, I hope that you have many more years in the field.

 
At October 29, 2011 at 1:32 AM , Blogger Chelsea L said...

Wow. I just found your blog from you following mine :) I was so excited to see that you work with children who have Autism and that you're in Milwaukee! I live in Washington with my husband, but my parents and siblings all live in Wisconsin. My littler sister (9 years old) has Autism. My parents are always looking for resources for her. That football camp looked awesome! I am working on going to school right now so I can be a special education teacher. I'm so happy I came across your blog. I would love to talk with you more about what you do in Milwaukee for my sister Cirrah (pronounced Keira). : )

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home